| Press Releases | Newsletter |

The two part lecture below kicks off our 2014 Speaker series.

 

 

NOTE - These are past press releases archived for your reading pleasure!

FREDERICK COUNTY LANDMARKS FOUNDATION AWARDS HISTORIC PLAQUE

July 2008, Frederick resident and property owner, Ms. Linda Stanton, was presented with an historic plaque for her home on South Carroll Street. The home is a Federal-style brick duplex consisting of two full floors, large finished attic and full basement with a fenced landscaped yard. The home was built at the turn of the 19th century (approximately 1904). The lot was first reference in records dated 1866 purchased by Benjamin & Hiram Winchester. The exterior is much the same as originally built with the second story adjoining the other duplex with a small alley between on street level. The original transom windows remain throughout the first floor.

The FCLF Plaque program recognizes structures, over 100 years old, with either historical and/or architectural merit; this includes structures that have been maintained in their original form or have been returned to their original configuration. Furthermore, any existing alterations and additions to the original structure must preserve the architectural integrity of the structure and appear as a logical progressive add-on to the original.

For younger structures, 50 to 99 years old, or historical structures not eligible for an historic black plaque, FCLF offers a vernacular plaque for unusual architectural or historic significance.

The FCLF Plaque program is a wonderful way to preserve our community and its heritage. To learn more about the program visit: www.frederickcountylandmarksfoundation.org. You may also call FCLF 301-668-6088 for a brochure and application. The application fee is $100.00. This fee will be returned if the structure is deemed ineligible for a plaque.

FCLF is the largest historic preservation organization in the county and is dedicated to saving and preserving Frederick?s natural and historic landmarks for future generations.

Photos: L to R: Lucille Davis, Chairman , FCLF Plaques Committee, Linda Stanton, owner, Ann Lebherz and Art Dee, FCLF Plaques Committee


Archived press release from 2008
FREDERICK COUNTY LANDMARKS FOUNDATION AWARDS HISTORIC RED VERNACULAR PLAQUE

July 2008, Middletown residents and property owners, John & Ruth Ellen Burrier were presented with an historic red vernacular plaque for their farm known as "Youngest Brother" dating from a land patent for Conrad Young in 1755 for 249 acres on Picnic Woods Road. Frederick County Landmarks Foundation (FCLF) received the application from Mr. Davis Streaker a direct descendant of Conrad Young. The Young?s lived on the farm for 70 years and raised 11 children to adulthood. Conrad Young was a man of considerable business and wealth and was a founder and principal supporter of the Lutheran Church in Middletown and lived to the age of 97 years.

The original stone structure still exists with a natural spring in the basement fed by the nearby creek and a large cook in fireplace. Later a log structure was added to the stone house. Renovations have occurred over time that were not true to the period but because of the major historical significance for Middletown Valley the vernacular plaque was selected. The Burrier?s have continued active farming on this land that they acquired in 1963.

The FCLF Plaque program recognizes structures, over 100 years old, with either historical and/or architectural merit; this includes structures that have been maintained in their original form or have been returned to their original configuration. Furthermore, any existing alterations and additions to the original structure must preserve the architectural integrity of the structure and appear as a logical progressive add-on to the original.

For younger structures, 50 to 99 years old, or historical structures not eligible for an historic black plaque, FCLF offers a vernacular plaque for unusual architectural or historic significance.

The FCLF Plaque program is a wonderful way to preserve our community and its heritage. To learn more about the program visit: www.frederickcountylandmarksfoundation.org. You may also call FCLF 301-668-6088 for a brochure and application. The application fee is $100.00. This fee will be returned if the structure is deemed ineligible for a plaque.

FCLF is the largest historic preservation organization in the county and is dedicated to saving and preserving Frederick?s natural and historic landmarks for future generations.

Photos: L to R: Owners, Ruth Ellen and John Burrier, Davis Streaker, descendant of Conrad Young, and Ann Lebherz, FCLF Plaque Committee.


Archived press release from 2008

FREDERICK COUNTY LANDMARKS FOUNDATION AWARDS HISTORIC PLAQUE

July 2008, Jefferson residents and property owners, Clarence and Barbara Horst, were presented with an historic plaque for their two-story federal style brick house built by Jacob Parsons sometime between 1799 and 1809 on Jefferson Pike in New Town (Trap), now known as Jefferson, MD. The dwelling and land were sold in 1811 to satisfy all creditors of Jacob Parsons and sale notices reference a two-story brick house with a well calculated for a tavern. This lot was part of a parcel of land first referenced in records dated June 1740. The original traceried transom windows remain above the double front doors. The street level full-length front porch was an early 19th century addition.

The FCLF Plaque program recognizes structures, over 100 years old, with either historical and/or architectural merit; this includes structures that have been maintained in their original form or have been returned to their original configuration. Furthermore, any existing alterations and additions to the original structure must preserve the architectural integrity of the structure and appear as a logical progressive add-on to the original.

For younger structures, 50 to 99 years old, or historical structures not eligible for an historic black plaque, FCLF offers a vernacular plaque for unusual architectural or historic significance.

The FCLF Plaque program is a wonderful way to preserve our community and its heritage. To learn more about the program visit: www.frederickcountylandmarksfoundation.org. You may also call FCLF 301-668-6088 for a brochure and application. The application fee is $100.00. This fee will be returned if the structure is deemed ineligible for a plaque.

FCLF is the largest historic preservation organization in the county and is dedicated to saving and preserving Frederick?s natural and historic landmarks for future generations.

Photos: L to R: Cookie Larkin, FCLF Plaques Committee, Barbara and Clarence Horst and Lucille Davis, Chairman, FCLF Plaques Committee.


Archived press release from 2008
FREDERICK COUNTY LANDMARKS FOUNDATION AWARDS HISTORIC PLAQUE

June 2008, Frederick residents and property owners, Mr. & Mrs. Robert Marsteller, were presented with an historic plaque for their home on Ed Crone Lane. The farm was noted in a 1902 bill of sale as the home farm of Harry W. Summers known as the ?Mt. Phillip Farm?. The current farm is 4.4 acres and nestles in the middle of 500 acres of actively farmed land. The structure is a four-square brick farm house with original pine floors and chestnut trim. The original exterior doors and windows are intact.

The FCLF Plaque program recognizes structures, over 100 years old, with either historical and/or architectural merit; this includes structures that have been maintained in their original form or have been returned to their original configuration. Furthermore, any existing alterations and additions to the original structure must preserve the architectural integrity of the structure and appear as a logical progressive add-on to the original.

For younger structures, 50 to 99 years old, or historical structures not eligible for an historic black plaque, FCLF offers a vernacular plaque for unusual architectural or historic significance.

The FCLF Plaque program is a wonderful way to preserve our community and its heritage. To learn more about the program visit: www.frederickcountylandmarksfoundation.org. You may also call FCLF 301-668-6088 for a brochure and application. The application fee is $100.00. This fee will be returned if the structure is deemed ineligible for a plaque.

FCLF is the largest historic preservation organization in the county and is dedicated to saving and preserving Frederick?s natural and historic landmarks for future generations.

Photos: L to R: Jennifer DiGiovanna, FCLF Plaques Comm., Mr. and Mrs. Robert Marsteller and daughters and Ann Lebherz, FCLF Plaque Committee.


Archived press release from 2008
FREDERICK COUNTY LANDMARKS FOUNDATION AWARDS 2nd HISTORIC PLAQUE IN BRADDOCK HEIGHTS

JANUARY 15, 2008 ? Frederick residents and property owners John Bekier and Rich Bowell, Jr., received a historic plaque from the Frederick County Landmarks Foundation (FCLF) for their property on Maryland Avenue in Braddock Heights. The house was erected in 1902 and was established as one of the earliest boarding houses for tourists and vacationers visiting the Braddock?s amusement and recreational parks.

The house is an excellent example of a Victorian cottage that was popular in Braddock Heights in the early 1900?s. The structure has a widow?s walk, wrap around porch and the original carriage house. Frederick Magazine had an article about the home and its renovations in the February 2007 issue. John and Rich enjoy the fabulous western views of Middletown Valley and the mountains beyond.

The FCLF Plaque program recognizes structures, over 100 years old, with either historical and/or architectural merit; this includes structures that have been maintained in their original form or have been returned to their original configuration. Furthermore, any existing alterations and additions to the original structure must preserve the architectural integrity of the structure and appear as a logical progressive add-on to the original.

For younger structures, 50 to 99 years old, FCLF offers a vernacular plaque for unusual architectural or historic significance.

The FCLF Plaque program is a wonderful way to preserve our community and its heritage. To learn more about the program visit: www.frederickcountylandmarksfoundation.org or call 301-668-6088 for a brochure and application. The application fee is $100.00 and will be returned if a historic plaque is denied.

FCLF is the largest historic preservation organization in the county and is dedicated to saving and preserving Frederick?s natural and historic landmarks for future generations.

Photos: L to R: FCLF Plaques Committee; Art Dee, Bonnie Dee, Rich Bowell, Jr., John Bekier (owners), Lucille Davis, FCLF Plaques Chairman & Jennifer DiGiovanna, FCLF Plaques Commmittee.


What Ails You: 18th and 19th Century Medical History Day Event

Ever wonder how a wounded soldier survived during the French and Indian War? What about the Civil War? How did the everyday eighteenth and nineteenth century individual heal themselves from common ailments? What Ails You will explore and answer these questions with living history demonstrations and lectures, June 28th 12-4pm, at the Schifferstadt Architectural Museum at 1110 Rosemont Avenue, Frederick, Maryland. The event will take place rain or shine.

This free event is open to the public and invites people of all ages interested in history and medicine. From the French and Indian War to the Civil War, medicine and medical techniques will be explored, from bandaging wounds and treating migraines to early dentistry techniques. Features include an interactive display from the Civil War Medicine Museum and medical practitioners in period dress.

Additional regular features include architectural tours of the French and Indian War era German farmhouse at the regular admission rate of $3.00, Children 12 & Under Free.

Please come on out and join us for What Ails You: 18th and 19th Century Medical History Day!

Schifferstadt Architectural Museum is a project of the Frederick County Landmarks Foundation, the largest historic preservation organization in the county dedicated to saving and preserving Frederick?s natural and historic landmarks for future generations.

For more information, call 301-663-3885.

Schifferstadt Architectural Museum
1110 Rosemont Avenue
Frederick Maryland 21701
301-663-3885
www.frederickcountylandmarksfoundation.org

Photo: As an 18th Century doctor, Adrien Tudor explains typical medical procedures. Photo by Joanne Ivancic

What Ails You


 

adamstown

adamstown


Archived press release from 2007

FREDERICK COUNTY LANDMARKS FOUNDATION
AWARDS HISTORIC PLAQUE IN ADAMSTOWN

DECEMBER 25, 2007 – Frederick residents and property owners Clyde and Katherine Finley received a historic plaque from the Frederick County Landmarks Foundation (FCLF) for their property on Mountville Road in Adamstown, MD. The house was erected in 1853 and was purchased in 1864 by Adam Kohlenburg for whom Adamstown is named. In 1871 George Kohlenburg, who served for 50 years as Postmaster for the area, purchased the land.

For Katherine Finley, current owner, she is the second generation to own the home in which she grew up. The house is an excellent example of the Italianate style of the 1850’s. Mr. John Allen did research on the home for the FCLF historic plaque application, that if approved, it was a Christmas present for the Finley family.

The FCLF Plaque program recognizes structures, over 100 years old, with either historical and/or architectural merit; this includes structures that have been maintained in their original form or have been returned to their original configuration. Furthermore, any existing alterations and additions to the original structure must preserve the architectural integrity of the structure and appear as a logical progressive add-on to the original.

For younger structures, 50 to 99 years old, FCLF offers a vernacular plaque for unusual architectural or historic significance.

The FCLF Plaque program is a wonderful way to preserve our community and its heritage. To learn more about the program visit: www.frederickcountylandmarksfoundation.org or call 301-668-6088 for a brochure and application. The application fee is $100.00 and will be returned if a historic plaque is denied.

FCLF is the largest historic preservation organization in the county and is dedicated to saving and preserving Frederick’s natural and historic landmarks for future generations.

adamstown

l-r :Clyde Finley, Katerine Finley and John Allen


Archived press release from 2008

FREDERICK COUNTY LANDMARKS FOUNDATION
AWARDS 2nd HISTORIC PLAQUE IN BRADDOCK HEIGHTS

JANUARY 15, 2008 – Frederick residents and property owners John Bekier and Rich Bowell, Jr., received a historic plaque from the Frederick County Landmarks Foundation (FCLF) for their property on Maryland Avenue in Braddock Heights. The house was erected in 1902 and was established as one of the earliest boarding houses for tourists and vacationers visiting the Braddock’s amusement and recreational parks.

The house is an excellent example of a Victorian cottage that was popular in Braddock Heights in the early 1900’s. The structure has a widow’s walk, wrap around porch and the original carriage house. Frederick Magazine had an article about the home and its renovations in the February 2007 issue. John and Rich enjoy the fabulous western views of Middletown Valley and the mountains beyond.

The FCLF Plaque program recognizes structures, over 100 years old, with either historical and/or architectural merit; this includes structures that have been maintained in their original form or have been returned to their original configuration. Furthermore, any existing alterations and additions to the original structure must preserve the architectural integrity of the structure and appear as a logical progressive add-on to the original.

For younger structures, 50 to 99 years old, FCLF offers a vernacular plaque for unusual architectural or historic significance.

The FCLF Plaque program is a wonderful way to preserve our community and its heritage. To learn more about the program visit: www.frederickcountylandmarksfoundation.org or call 301-668-6088 for a brochure and application. The application fee is $100.00 and will be returned if a historic plaque is denied.

FCLF is the largest historic preservation organization in the county and is dedicated to saving and preserving Frederick’s natural and historic landmarks for future generations.

braddock

l-r : FCLF Plaques Committee; Art Dee, Bonnie Dee, Rich Bowell, Jr., John Bekier (owners), Lucille Davis, FCLF Plaques Chairman & Jennifer DiGiovanna, FCLF Plaques Commmittee.


 

Archived press release from 2007

Frederick County Landmarks Foundation Derr Fund Now Accepting Grant Applications

The Derr Fund, one of over 400 funds held by The Community Foundation of Frederick County, MD, Inc., is now accepting applications for grant funding for historic preservation and scholarly research in Frederick County. About $4000 is available for grants through this current application process. To request The Derr Fund grant application guidelines, send a self-addressed stamped envelope to Frederick County Landmarks Foundation, 1110 Rosemont Avenue, Frederick, MD 21701 or email info@fredcolandmarks.org to request a copy by email.

The Derr Fund provides funding for historic preservation and scholarly research that directly relates to Frederick County, Maryland. Decisions regarding projects to fund shall be made at the sole discretion of Frederick County Landmarks Foundation Board of Directors.

Preservation includes: Projects and programs that support preservation and protection of historic sites in Frederick County and promote preservation efforts in the county.

Scholarly research includes: Investigation and research of the history of Frederick County and its inhabitants before and after colonial settlements.

The Frederick County Landmarks Foundation endeavors to preserve Frederick County’s natural and historic landmarks. Call 301-668-6088 or visit www.FrederickCountyLandmarksFoundation.org for more information.


Archived press release from 2007

FCLF Names Volunteer of the Year: Pat Miller and Presents Lifetime Service Award to Judy Candela

It is a tradition at the Annual Meeting for the Membership of the Frederick County Landmarks to honor one of their own for extraordinary service to the organization.  At the 2007 Annual Meeting held November 11, Pat Miller was honored for his exceptional service and generosity to the Schifferstadt Architectural Museum.

In addition, this year a special award was presented to Judy Candela, long-time Director of the Beatty-Cramer House. Ms. Candela was recognized for her many years of dedication, expertise and stewardship of not only Schifferstadt, but, most of all, of the Beatty-Cramer House. From working on restoration of the spring house to researching the history of the property and families who settled there, to guiding archeological digs and shepherding the process of measuring and documenting all aspects of the buildings for submission to the U.S. Archives HABS project, Judy Candela has put her heart and soul into preserving this piece of Frederick history to benefit future generations.

Not only does Pat Miller provide in-depth historical and architectural tours every Sunday, he is always willing to make special arrangements for tours by appointment. He especially enjoys sharing Frederick history with visitors from around the world. Pat Miller also published and donated all proceeds from the sales of a book about Schifferstadt which he wrote. It fills a need at the museum for a book that includes much of the information given on the tours and has had brisk sales.

FCLF is proud to be able to honor these wonderful and valuable individuals, knowing that their examples motivate and inspire others to contribute as enthusiastically and with as much dedication as Pat Miller and Judy Candela.

FCLF is a nonprofit historic preservation organization dedicated to saving historic and natural sites in Frederick County for more than 30 years. In addition to restoring and operating the Schifferstadt Architectural Museum and stabilizing and maintaining the c.1732 Beatty-Cramer House, the organization works with city and county agencies and the public to save Frederick County’s past to benefit our future.

Judy Candela in 18th Century period dress.
Pat Miller on the porch at Schifferstadt

Archived press release from 2007
FREDERICK COUNTY LANDMARKS FOUNDATION
AWARDS HISTORIC PLAQUE IN MIDDLETOWN

NOVEMBER 2007 – Frederick resident and property owner Dave Kirkwood received a historic plaque from the Frederick County Landmarks Foundation (FCLF) for his property on Picnic Woods Road in Middletown, MD. The land was named “The Blooming Month of May” when it was part of a resurvey on “Locust Valley” in 1815 for Jacob Flook. A date on an interior hearth is June 5th 1815. The land included a brick mill and other buildings one of which may have been used as an English or German schoolhouse that Jacob leased for 99years for one cent.

The mill house is log and stone and retains the original floors, plaster and woodwork. The mill was known as the “Phleeger Mill” from 1861 until it burned down in 1920. Its close by neighbor is the Sgt. Lawrence Everhardt house that Everhardt purchased in 1833 and where he remained for the rest of his life.

The FCLF Plaque program recognizes structures, over 100 years old, with either historical and/or architectural merit; this includes structures that have been maintained in t heir original form or have been returned to their original configuration. Furthermore, any existing alterations and additions to the original structure must preserve the architectural integrity of the structure and appear as a logical progressive add-on to the original.

For younger structures, 50 to 99 years old, FCLF offers a vernacular plaque for unusual architectural or historic significance.

The FCLF Plaque program is a wonderful way to preserve our community and its heritage. To learn more about the program visit: HYPERLINK "http://www.frederickcountylandmarksfoundation.org" www.frederickcountylandmarksfoundation.org or call 301-668-6088 for a brochure and application. The application fee is $100.00 and will be returned if a historic plaque is denied.

FCLF is t he largest historic preservation organization in the county and is dedicated to saving and preserving Frederick’s natural and historic landmarks for future generations.

L TO R: Dave Kirkwood (owner) Jennifer DiGiovanna, Plaques Committee
and Lucille Davis, Plaques Committee Chairman.

 

Archived Press Releases from 2007

September 2007

Dear Life Members, Members and Others Interested in Preserving Frederick’s Past for the Future:

I must bring a matter of grave concern before you. Despite careful spending and outreach efforts, it appears that FCLF will have only enough funds left to support itself for one more year. This means that unless we, as an entire organization, can develop or find new funding sources, we will be

  • shutting the doors to Schifferstadt,
  • providing no more tours of Beatty Cramer,
  • conducting no further renovation of Zion Church and
  • giving no more plaques to the historic buildings of this county
  • saving no more endangered sites
  • providing no more education about the 18th Century settlement of Frederick County after June 30, 2008.

Oktoberfest merely provides enough funding to barely keep the doors open at Schifferstadt. The rest of the organization needs much more than what it has been taking in. We are hopeful that a new initiative, Preserve Frederick, will provide the funds that we need to reinvigorate the organization.

However, recognizing our responsibilities, the current board will begin thoughtful planning about how to mothball both Beatty Cramer and Schifferstadt so that no damage will come to these most important buildings. It is our hope that the incoming board will successfully develop and find new funding sources or Preserve Frederick will provide sufficient funds to sustain all FCLF projects. Then, this contingency plan will be able to fade into the background as a “just in case” exercise.

I thought it important that you, as members and leaders in the community, know that we are taking this very important, proactive step. There are many components to it and we are seeking legal guidance.

It is my strongest desire that we do not have to use this plan. I welcome your comments, both now and at the annual meeting, to be held at The Evangelical Reform Church of Christ, 15 West Church Street in Frederick at 2:00 PM.

At this meeting we will be electing new board members for the upcoming year. They will take on this momentous task. Please come to this meeting to express your support and to let them know how we can save Frederick County Landmarks Foundation. Watch for details on our website: www.FrederickCountyLandmarksFoundation.org

Sarah Matthews
President
FCLF

PS: If you re interested in running for one of the five Board vacancies; please contact Alan Feinberg at: FEINDESIGN@aol.com or 301-606-6717.


Archived press release
SEPTEMBER 19, 2007
Contact: Lucille Davis
301-371-7697

FREDERICK COUNTY LANDMARKS FOUNDATION
AWARDS PLAQUE TO HIDDEN LOG HOUSE ON SOUTH BENTZ STREET

Photo by Edward DiGiovanna
L to R: Jennifer DiGiovanna, Plaque Committee member. Brent Bonfiglio (owner); Lucille Davis, Chairman, FCLF Plaque Committee, and Cookie Larkin, Plaque Committee member.

Recently, Frederick resident and property owner, Brent Bonfiglio received an historic plaque from the Frederick County Landmarks Foundation (FCLF) for his house on South Bentz Street. Built in the 1870’s it appears on the Sanborn Map of 1887. The house is one of the original Bentz Town log structures, although that can be observed only from the interior.

By awarding this plaque, FCLF and the Frederick community recognize the historic significance of the property and the careful preservation that has taken place. The FCLF Plaque program recognizes structures, over 100 years old, with either historical and/or architectural merit; this includes structures that have been maintained in their original form or have been returned to their original configuration. Furthermore, any existing alterations and additions to the original structure must preserve the architectural integrity of the structure and appear as a logical progressive add-on to the original.

For younger structures, those 50 to 99 years old, FCLF offers a vernacular plaque for unusual architectural or historic significance.

The FCLF Plaque program is a wonderful way to preserve our community and its heritage. To learn more about the program and to download an application form, visit: www.frederickcountylandmarksfoundation.org. The application fee is $100.00. This fee will be returned if the structure is deemed ineligible for a plaque.


Archived Press Release from 2007

Octoberfest at Schifferstadt Features 18th Century Demonstrations, Beer, Crafts, Music

Dr. David Denisch, a descendant of the family that built Schifferstadt, toasts the harvest with a Heimat Echo band member. Visitors enjoy Oktoberfest on Schifferstadt Architectural Museum grounds in 2006.

 

For nearly 30 years, Frederick County Landmarks Foundation has brought to life this annual celebration of the harvest with delicious authentic German food, live oompah band (Heimat Echo), arts and crafts vendors, heritage garden tours, demonstrations of Colonial-era cooking, blacksmithing, beer-making and other crafts, and, of course, the colorful Biergarten. Again, authentic wurst from Binkert’s in Baltimore, purveyors to the German Embassy, will be availble hot off the open grill.

The museum and shop in the French and Indian War era stone farm house will be open, and filled with many fine gift items.

Sponsors of this years’ event include Frederick County Bank (Gold); Bechtel National, Inc., and PNC Bank (Silver); Sir Speedy Printing and The Frederick News Post (Bronze). Without them, FCLF could not bring you this historical, cultural, educational and FUN event. Admission to Oktoberfest is $3.00 for adults; children under 12 free. The Schifferstadt Architecture Museum is conveniently located off MD Route 15 at 1110 Rosemont Avenue, Frederick Maryland. Tours of the museum are $3.00 for adults; children under 12 free.

Schifferstadt is one of the finest examples of colonial German architecture in America. Owned and operated by Frederick County Landmarks Foundation, the museum and shop are open Thursdays through Sundays noon to 4pm. For further information, call Schifferstadt at 301.663.3885, ext. 3.

FCLF is a nonprofit historic preservation organization saving historic, cultural and natural sites in Frederick County for more than 30 years. In addition to restoring and operating the Schifferstadt Architectural Museum and stabilizing and maintaining the c.1732 Beatty-Cramer House, the organization works with city and county agencies and the public to save Frederick County’s past to benefit our future.


Archived job description - not current

Job Opportunity: Gift Shop Clerk

Retail: Schifferstadt Architectural Museum Gift Shop Clerk PT Thurs. – Sun. 11:30-4:30 March - December. $10/hour, no benefits. Self-starter, retail experience. Assist with sales, display, ordering, inventory management. Send resumes info@fredcolandmarks.org.


Position Description Overview
Assist in display, ordering and sales at small historic museum gift shop. Participate in special events to promote gift shop sales such as Bell and History Days, Beyond the Garden Gates, Living History Days, Oktoberfest, Museums by Candlelight. Assist visitors to view museum video and begin self-guided tours. Maintain cleanliness of gift shop and museum.

Minimum Age: 18
Supervision: Schifferstadt Museum Manager or Director

Specific Duties and Responsibilities:

Open and close gift shop and museum Thursdays through Sundays. This includes:

  • Opening
    Arrive at 11:30 to turn on lights, check cleanliness and supplies in rest rooms, put banners out front windows.
    Get cash box from hiding place. Count and record opening cash on hand.
    Prepare museum video for showing.
    Put out “open” signs
  • Closing
    Stay until last visitors leave after 4:00.
    Make sure all windows and doors are closed and properly locked.
    Put out “closed” signs.
    Count and record sales information, cash and credit sales.
    Prepare bank deposits.
    Take bank deposits to bank at least once each week.
  • Greet customers and visitors.
    Assist customers with information about items in gift shop.
    Stock, price and display merchandise under supervision of Museum Manager or Director
    Account for all merchandise with clear and accurate sales records.
    Keep information for gift shop inventory and sales analysis.
    Consult with Museum Manager or Director with recommendations on items to order. Place orders authorized by Museum Manager or Director.
    Introduce visitors to museum docents for tours and tour information. If no docents are available, provide visitors with self-guided tour information and start video.
  • Check emails at SchifferstadtAM@aol.com daily; answer/forward as appropriate.
  • Answer the phone. Take messages; forward messages as appropriate.
  • Set up special tours; schedule docents to give special tours; keep appropriate records.
  • Record visitors on daily tally sheets.
  • Train docents and gift shop assistants in use of credit card machine, daily log book, sales sheets, visitor tally sheets and visitor guest book.
  • Museum is usually cleaned at the beginning of the season with assistance of volunteers. Gift Shop Clerk must help with this, including placement of displays in gift shop. The Gift Shop Clerk will also vacuum and dust the museum and gift shop before major events and as needed at other times.
  • Clean restrooms at least once each week.
  • The Gift Shop Clerk must work with volunteers and Museum Manager or Director to “put the museum and gift shop to bed” for the off season, usually during the week after Museums by Candlelight.

Skills and Qualifications Required:

  • Good “people skills;” ability to make guests comfortable and welcome.
    Good “team player” who can work cooperatively with volunteers, board members and other staff.
  • Self-starter with initiative to see tasks that need to be done to keep gift shop and museum looking inviting.
  • Reliability, ability to get to work on time, find own substitutes if need arises, carry out tasks or projects according to plan.
  • Good organizational skills to keep records regarding inventory and sales clear and up-to-date.
  • Accurately prepare sales receipts and calculate sales totals, including taxes; may use calculator and tax tables.
  • Use vacuums, brooms and other cleaning equipment to vacuum museum and clean restrooms.
  • Optional, but appreciated: an “eye” for putting together appealing merchandize displays.

Physical Requirements:

  • Lift 40 lbs.
  • Bend and stoop.
  • Negotiate narrow and irregular stairways; climb stairs.
  • Write small price tags.

Salary Information:

Scheduled work hours: 11:30 a.m. through 4:30 p.m. Thursdays through Sundays approximately April (or late March) to mid-December. Closed Easter and Thanksgiving.

Extra work hours will be requested for special events including Bell and History Days (opening weekend), Beyond the Garden Gates, Oktoberfest, Museums by Candlelight and other special events; and including preparing the gift shop and museum for off season and for new season opening.

Part-time, no benefits. $10.00/hour

Contact Information:

301-668-6088 or 301-663-3885
(Note: office and museum are only open part-time; please leave a detailed message.)
fredcolandmarks@aol.com


 



Archived press release

New Frederick County Landmarks Foundation Website Makes Technical Assistance for Historic Preservation Available to Everyone

After more than a year of work by staff and volunteers, Frederick County Landmarks Foundation recently unveiled its new and much improved website. Extensive information about the restoration, stabilization and renovation work at the Schifferstadt Architectural Museum, the Beatty-Cramer House and Urbana’s Zion Church, along with information about the history of these locations, illustrates the value of historic preservation and the work of FCLF. See our new site at www.FrederickCountyLandmarksFoundation.org.

FCLF is especially proud of the Technical Assistance Package section which includes information often requested from the organization. “Now we can provide up-to-date information for owners of older properties about tax credits and other incentives for preserving their windows to the past. With direct links to critical resources, it becomes so much easier for those interested in preservation and renovation to find the information they need,” explained Sarah Matthews, FCLF President. “Special thanks go to Sue Fransen who created the original paper from which this section derives; and to FCLF Board Member and long-time preservationist, Bernie Callan for his expert review of the current document,” she continued.

Information about living history events, lesson plans for local history study, recent news about FCLF and its properties, items to order from the Schifferstadt Gift Shop, and a speakers bureau will be available on the site. Kim Roberts of Monocacy Design created the site, partly funded by a Frederick County Tourism TRIPP (Tourism Resources Invested in Promotion & Product Program) Grant.

FCLF is a nonprofit historic preservation organization saving historic, cultural and natural sites in Frederick County for more than 30 years. In addition to restoring and operating the Schifferstadt Architectural Museum and stabilizing and maintaining the c.1732 Beatty-Cramer House, the organization works with city and county agencies and the public to save Frederick County’s past to benefit our future.

 


 

Archived press release for your reading pleasure
Contact: Nancy Geasey, FCLF 301-293-2708
Or Joy Beasley, NPS (301)662-6980 (office) (410)925-8682 (cell)

Special Presentation at Thomas Farm Bank Barn with Frederick County Landmarks Foundation and Monocacy National Battlefield

 

Frederick County Landmarks Foundation and Monocacy National Battlefield invite the public to join them for a special presentation about the Thomas Farm Bank Barn and Silo Restoration Project on the Monocacy Battlefield on Sunday, September 9 at 3:00 pm. Building on the popularity of the Middletown Valley Barn Tour this summer, Historic Preservation Training Center Exhibit Specialist Mark Andros, and Joy Beasley, Monocacy National Battlefield Cultural Resource Manager, will lecture on site about this multiyear project.

The Thomas Farm Bank Barn is a timber frame barn constructed in the early 20th Century on the limestone foundation of an earlier 19th Century brick forebay barn. Joy Beasley will explain how archeological studies, along with architectural and historical research, have informed National Park Service’s planning for the barn restoration project. Mark Andros will discuss the current phase of the project, which focuses on repair and stabilization of the stone foundation, as well as reconstruction of the forebay wall and reestablishment of the historic door and window configuration, which was removed while the barn was in private ownership. The final phase of the barn rehabilitation -- repair and restoration of the barn and silo roof -- will occur over the following few years.

This presentation should be of particular interest to anyone who owns a barn or cares about proper maintenance and restoration or rehabilitation of older barns, as well as to those interested in this important Monocacy National Battlefield structure, which is not generally accessible to the public. Parking is available on site in the Thomas Farm trail parking lot off Baker Valley Road, with additional parking along the lane leading to the barn.

FCLF is a nonprofit historic preservation organization dedicated to saving historic and natural sites in Frederick County for more than 30 years. In addition to restoring and operating the Schifferstadt Architectural Museum and stabilizing and maintaining the c.1732 Beatty-Cramer House, the organization works with city and county agencies and the public to save Frederick County’s past to benefit our future.

 



Archived press release from 2007

Letitia Klackner Honored with Flowering Quince at Schifferstadt Architectural Museum

Letitia Ann Klackner in the 2nd Street home in Frederick which she restored. Photo by Meg Klackner

 

A flowering quince will be dedicated by friends and family in honor and memory of Letitia Anne Klackner at 4 P.M. on Sunday, August 26, 2007, at the Shifferstadt Architectural Museum.

Mrs. Klackner was an avid antique dealer who spent her life in search of historical properties and pieces.  She had a special place in her heart for old things no longer in their prime which under her care and attention came back to life.  She restored countless 19th century tools, furniture and accessories, as well as several historical homes in Frederick County.

Her love of antiques and volunteering naturally led her to The Frederick County Landmarks Foundation.  She particularly enjoyed working as a docent and special events volunteer at The Schifferstadt Architectural Museum.

Mrs. Klackner will be remembered for her wit, wisdom and dedication to the people and places of Frederick County.

FCLF is a nonprofit historic preservation organization saving historic, cultural and natural sites in Frederick County for more than 30 years. In addition to restoring and operating the Schifferstadt Architectural Museum and stabilizing and maintaining the c.1732 Beatty-Cramer House, the organization works with city and county agencies and the public to save Frederick County’s past to benefit our future.

 


 

 

Archived press release from 2006

Frederick County Landmarks Foundation Presents Historic Plaque to Landon House.

On Friday June 16th 2006, The Landon House, located in Urbana at the intersection of 85-80 received a historic plaque from FCLF, which recognizes its historic significance and careful preservation. Bonnie Leins, the Facilities Coordinator of the Maryland Museum of Civil War History and Landon House, and Charles Snowden, an intern from Linganore High School were present to receive the plaque, as well as Bonnie Dee, Carole Larkin and Joanne Ivancic from FCLF.

The FCLF plaque program recognizes structures more than 100 years old with either historical and/or architectural merit. This includes structures that have been maintained in their original form or have been returned to their original configurations. Furthermore, any existing alterations and additions to their structure must preserve the architectural integrity of the structure and appear as a logical, progressive add-on to the original.

For younger structures, 50 to 99 years old, FCLF offers a plaque for unusual architectural or historical significance.

The FCLF plaque program is a way to preserve the community and its heritage.

To learn more about the program, www.frederickcountylandmarksfoundation.org or call FCLF at 301-668-6088 for a brochure and application. The application fee is $100. This fee will be returned if the structure is deemed ineligible for a plaque.

FCLF is the largest all-volunteer historic preservation organization in the county and is dedicated to saving and preserving Frederick’s natural and historic landmarks for future generations.

(From Left: Carole Larkin, Bonnie Dee, Charles Snowden, Bonnie Leins, and Joanne Ivancic From Left: Charles Snowden, and Bonnie Leins

 



Archived press release from 2007

FREDERICK COUNTY LANDMARKS FOUNDATION
AWARDS HISTORIC PLAQUES

Burkittsville resident and property owner, Rick Poloway recently received plaques from Frederick County Landmarks Foundation (FCLF) recognizing the historic and/or architectural merit of two buildings in Burkittsville and their careful preservation.

Poloway’s house on Main Street, built in the 1840’s was the vestry for St. Mark’s Episcopal Church during the church’s active service. It also served as a hospital during the Civil War and was visited by President Abraham Lincoln on his travels from Antietam. The exterior has not been altered since those days. Former owners include the Easterday Sisters. Poloway, the current owner, purchased the home recently as he relocated from Baltimore to Burkittsville.

Poloway also owns the one room chapel that served as St. Mark’s Episcopal Church from 1896 to 1935. It also received a plaque. The chapel now serves as an artist’s studio, with the altar and pulpit from its days as a chapel still in place.

The FCLF Plaque program recognizes structures over 100 years old with either historical and/or architectural merit. This includes structures that have been maintained in their original form or have been returned to their original configuration. Any existing alterations and additions to the original structure must preserve the architectural integrity of the structure and appear as a logical progressive add-on to the original.

For younger structures, 50 to 99 years old, FCLF offers a vernacular plaque for unusual architectural or historic significance.

The FCLF Plaque program is a wonderful way to preserve our community and its heritage. To learn more about the program visit: www.frederickcountylandmarksfoundation.org. You may also call FCLF 301-668-6088 for a brochure and application. The application fee is $100.00. This fee will be returned if the structure is deemed ineligible for a plaque.

FCLF is an historic preservation organization dedicated to saving and preserving Frederick’s natural and historic landmarks for future generations.




Archived press release from 2007

Frederick County Landmarks Foundation Presents Historic Plaque to John Derr House.

On Monday, May 7, 2007, a group of volunteers who worked diligently over the past few years to save the John Derr House gathered at the newly restored former tavern to present a Frederick County Landmarks Foundation Plaque.

The John Derr House, located on Route 26 in Dearbought along the Monocacy River, received a historic plaque from FCLF, which recognizes its historic significance and careful preservation. Owner, David Scott Blackmon received the plaque from Sarah Matthews, president of FCLF. Birch Hotz and Ann Lebherz, founders of FCLF, presented a toast to Blackmon’s dedication and perseverance to this 18 month project. They and others expressed their appreciation of his work to restore and preserve this window to Frederick’s past.

The FCLF plaque program recognizes structures more than 100 years old with either historical and/or architectural merit. This includes structures that have been maintained in their original form or have been returned to their original configurations. Any existing alterations and additions to their structure must preserve the architectural integrity of the structure and appear as a logical, progressive add-on to the original.

For younger structures, 50 to 99 years old, FCLF offers a plaque for unusual architectural or historical significance.

The FCLF plaque program is a way to preserve the community and its heritage. To learn more about the program, visit www.frederickcountylandmarksfoundation.org or call FCLF at 301-668-6088 for a brochure and application. The application fee is $100. This fee will be returned if the structure is deemed ineligible for a plaque.

FCLF is a volunteer historic preservation organization dedicated to saving and preserving Frederick’s natural and historic landmarks for future generations.

FCLF “Founding Mothers,” Ann Lebherz and Birch Hotz join in toasting the hard work and dedication that resulted in the historic preservation of the John Derr House. Photo: Joanne Ivancic David Scott Blackmon receives Frederick County Landmarks Foundation plaque from Sarah Matthews at a celebration of the completion of the restoration of the John Derr House. Photo: Joanne Ivancic

 


 

Archived press release from 2007

Frederick County Landmarks Foundation

Beatty-Cramer House Sponsors 5th Annual Living History Event

The Beatty-Cramer House is sponsoring its 5th Annual Living History Event, Saturday, June 2nd and Sunday, June 3rd from 10 am to 5 pm. Entrance fee is $1.00; children 10 years & under are free. Light fare and beverage will be available for purchase. The Beatty-Cramer House, (9010 Liberty Rd.), is located one mile East of Route 194 on Route 26, outside of Frederick, MD.

The two day educational Living History Event encompasses 18th and 19th century demonstrations of trades, skills, and cultures. Visit with encampments of Native Americans, Frontiersmen, Revolutionary & Civil War Medical Doctors, and see a Civil War Soldiers camp. Discover the art of blacksmithing, candle making, 18th century sewing, colonial cooking, period music, and more. Step into the past and experience a unique architectural tour of the c. 1732 Beatty-Cramer House.

The Beatty-Cramer House is owned by Frederick County Landmarks Foundation, a non-profit historical preservation organization that has been saving historic, cultural and natural sites in Frederick County since 1973. For more information call 301-668-6088 or visit Frederick County Landmarks Foundation.


 



Archived press release from 2007
Frederick County Landmarks Foundation Will Offer a Barnstorming Tour on June 23



The Frederick County Landmarks Foundation is inviting the public to visit and tour historic barns of the Middletown Valley on June 23, 2007. Twelve older and unusual barns will be showcased in a one-day “barnstorming” tour to raise awareness of these important pieces of Americana that we are losing from the countryside at an alarming rate.

“Since the last historic sites survey in 1970, Frederick County has lost 324 barns because of changing farming practices and development,” said Birch Hotz, Landmarks committee chairperson. “Barns are so much more than simple farm buildings. They served as gathering places in our earliest communities and our earliest churches. They are a witness to the long history of Frederick County, to everything from slavery, the civil war and emancipation, to dances, weddings, and harvest celebrations. We want to celebrate the barns we have left and remember the ones we’ve lost to age and disaster,” said Hotz.

The tour will raise funds for Landmarks Foundation efforts to increase public awareness, create understanding, and inspire a passion for the older barns of Frederick County and their heritage.

The Frederick County Landmarks Foundation, Inc. is a not-for-profit organization whose mission is to preserve historic sites, structures, natural landmarks and communities of Frederick County, Maryland. Established in 1973, the Foundation restored and cares for Frederick’s Schifferstadt House (c. 1756) and the Beatty Cramer House (c. 1732).

For more information call 301-668-6088, email: info@fredcolandmarks.org, or write to: Frederick County Landmarks Foundation, Inc., 1110 Rosemont Avenue, Frederick, MD 21701. Information about the Frederick County Landmarks Foundation is available on the web at www.frederickcountylandmarksfoundation.org.